Being dairy-free really hasn't been all that difficult, except when eating out. So, I just cook most of my meals at home... Which is much healthier and more cost-effective anyway. Can't complain about all that! Just takes a little planning, and I've had to learn some new recipes and modify old ones to comply with my new diet restrictions. It has been a learning curve (hidden dairy is in A LOT of foods!) but I've finally got most of it down now and have become pretty creative with food. The good news has been that a dairy-free diet is definitely possible to do and can be just as delicious, thankfully!
The dressing turned out so good I've contemplated incorporating it into my breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days. (I tend to overindulge when I discover things that I love - not ashamed).
Anyway, I had a few people ask me for the recipe, and in an attempt to get back to blogging, I figured this was a perfect excuse. This recipe is dairy free but of course if you don't want it that way you could always swap the coconut milk with some kind of heavy cream or buttermilk. Whatever suits your fancy! We did the whole shebang and had warmed tortillas topped with melted shredded cheese (for my husband), seasoned beef, cilantro-lime rice, black beans, lettuce, pico, and of course the cilantro dressing. Enjoy...
- 1 medium/large garlic clove
- 1 packed cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup real mayonnaise (no miracle whip!)
- 1/3 cup canned, full fat coconut milk
- Juice of one lime (or 3 teaspoons lime juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Jalapeno (seeds removed if you don't like too much heat)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place garlic clove in food processor and. blend until finely chopped.
- Next add cup of cilantro and process with garlic until finely chopped.
- Add mayonnaise, coconut milk, lime juice, jalapeno, and all dry seasonings - blend together until well combined.
- That's it! Keep refrigerated until ready to devour.