Maybe about and hour later I was sitting in the kitchen when Gavin approached me once again with this steamer dish “plate” and again was pretending to eat off of it... Although THIS TIME I see that a SECOND peg is now missing, and I just happened simultaneously notice it was in Gavin’s mouth! *insert terrorized emoji*
I quickly told him to “Spit it out!” and reached to try and grab him to fish it out of his mouth, but I wasn’t quick and just as I reached for him he stepped back and out of my grasp and intentionally SWALLOWED the metal peg right before my eyes before I could take it away from him!
I immediately messaged my husband with a photo of the steamer and explained what had happened because I didn’t know what to do! Of course, to my dismay, he informed me I needed to take him to the emergency room. I knew this day would come but I wasn’t prepared for it!
So I begrudgingly loaded up both the boys into the car and drove to the hospital. They escorted us back and explained they needed to take x-rays to confirm how many metal pegs were swallowed and make sure they hadn’t punctured anything internal. I was so scared but so grateful Eric was able to step away from the OR to come back and comfort us during the process.
Gavin thought everything was pretty interesting at first but then quickly decided he was not very happy about being in the hospital and being confined to a bed with a crappy TV that didn’t have any of his favorite shows or movies. The machines were starting to give him “this is not good” vibes. He was nervous about the x-ray machine and had a hard time sitting still for it but Eric was able to lay next to him and help hold him during the process and comfort him; it was a really sweet and tender moment. It helped Gavin a lot having his Daddy there, (and it helped me out too)! It was really neat getting to see Eric in his element and helping Gavin feel better during all the scary stuff. One of Eric’s coworkers came back to check on us too which I thought was very kind and thoughtful
Luckily we were able to confirm he had only swallowed the one metal peg and nothing internally had perforated so we were told to just “let it pass” and keep an eye on him for a few days. I was pretty nervous over that weekend, but sure enough, 2 days later it came out! *whew* I am so grateful the whole thing didn’t end up being in any way detrimental to Gavin’s health or safety! A huge blessing, indeed!
Hopefully we don’t have to visit the ER again anytime soon! ...and that veggie steamer immediately found its way to the trash can when we got home. :)